Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Holland Road

And here we go with another cut off of "Babel". I really just should have called today Mumford Day because its what is playing on my ipod and really its the only thing I can process with vacation being so close. 

The next song I will review is another goodie called "Holland Road". This song is particularly soft, slow and very melodramatic. It perfectly plays into my theme that this entire album is much better crafted then their first one. It seems like more thought was put into making a complete album then just banging banjos like they did on the first. The entire album tells a story of love, loss, hope, grief, courage, being lost and finally being found. All things that are universal. It speaks a language that everyone can relate to and I think that is the reason why this band hits on so many different levels with so many different people. 

This song starts out really slow with an amazing build to an instrumental break. It uses trumpets well towards the end (like they did on the ever popular song "Winter Wnids") and builds to a point that when the "ah, ah, ah's" come in at the end you can't help but sing along. I feel as if this is one of the more powerful songs on the entire album. 

"I ran away in floods of shame
I'll never tell how close I came
As I cross the Holland Road
You went left and I went right
As the moon hung proud and white
You would have loved it here tonight"



No comments:

Post a Comment