Saturday, November 21, 2009

Album of the Week

Okay sorry for the long break from the blog world, work got a little too busy and I haven't had the time to write, yet no worries, the music collection is still growing...it really never stops...ever.

This week I went out and spent my usual 9.99 to support the musicians that I love. I believe to even out my karma for downloading so much music over the years is that I buy the albums that I love to show my support of these artists. Thats fair right? Moving forward...

My pick for album of the week is John Mayer's "Battle Studies". While I'm not the biggest John Mayer fan out there, (I really got into him when he played with the jazz trio). You can not deny that this boy is a talent. This being his third release he spent most of his off time collaborating with some of the greats in the game. Clapton, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Madonna, the list is long and impressive...

I bought this CD after watching his live concert on tv earlier this week. John definitely has his key demographic and it is not surprising...the ladies. His looks and charm alone send ladies at his concerts into absolute frenzy. Sure I understand it but stepping back and listening to this album without watching the full concert I felt something different. This is a man who loves all types of music. He loves his jazzy pop songs, his deep adult contemporary tempos, crazy jam band guitar rifts, there is such a mix of different styles that he brings to his music, just dismissing him into the "Pop" category would be a disservice to Johns talents.

The songs on this album flow like fine wine. They are all different but still have that thread that keeps them all the same. Heartfelt songs about love life and loss. Songs like "Half of My Heart" he sings such lyrics as "Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring/But half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything". Musically, he's exploring the moody territory of acts such as Coldplay and Snow Patrol, yet at the same time he is displaying he debt to guitar heroes including David Gilmour, Eric Clapton and George Harrison.

This album is just good. I really can't explain it better than that. Go pick this one up today!

The video below is from his concert this week. This is one of his old songs "Gravity". I was so impressed by this display I was brought to my feet in my apartment. Yes that good.


No comments:

Post a Comment