Friday, May 27, 2011

Gaga Central Park!

This was the image I woke up to on my tv this morning. Gaga playing Central Park. And well while you can say what you would like about this girl, I watched an hour interview with her last night that absolutely blew my socks off. 

She talked all about growing up in an Italian family in NYC. And how its her parents fault for getting her into the music she makes.... "Its totally their fault" she says, "Don't spoon-feed me the Beatles and Stevie Wonder and Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Elton John, and expect for me not to turn out this way". 

But its the way she talked about her idol Bruce Springsteen and how his song Thunder Road (also my favorite) changed her life. It was the first 'rock' song she learned to play on the Piano with the incentive that her dad would take out a loan for a Baby Grand if she could perfect it.. she did. She talked about his song writing and especially the lyric "its a town full of losers and we are pulling out of here to win" and how that still inspires her today in her song writing abilities. 

My favorite line because its so true: "Whenever I surge down a highway, I can't not think about Bruce, it just doesn't happen. Thats whats great about real legends. They own the whole fucking interstate". 

Ha. True. 

And finally I'll end with a quote which she said this morning that I think rings true for real talents. When asked if she wasn't a singer what profession would she be? She looked dead in the eyes of the host and answered "oh i'd still be singing... just nobody would care". 

Say what you like but thats how I like to hear musicians speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment