Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Meet Allen Stone

Meet Allen Stone. I just got an email telling me to check him out and the first sentence I read about him I was already in love.... 

"Although people describe him to be a Soul and R&B singer, he sees himself as a hippie with soul." Ha. I'm sold.

Born in a small town in Washington his career started singing in his fathers church. He has been singing in the church since the age of 3; at the age of 14 he was leading worship and playing the guitar. He says he fell in love with music because it allowed him to express himself to a crowd of people. 

Allen did not discover soul music until he was a teenager. Once he discovered it though it was all over. He started collecting classic albums from the 1960s and 70s. He was 15 when he head Stevie Wonders "Innervisions" and it had a profound impact.

At the age of 18 he had a falling out with his church and decided to risk it all and moved to Seattle to follow his music dreams. 

Since then he has been hitting the stages hard, and to a great reception. His music touches on a lot of social and political issues and has many times been compared to Marvin Gaye or Donnie Hathaway. 

This next tune "Unaware" is just amazing. The more and more I read about this dude the more and more I like him. Great find PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment