Monday, February 25, 2013

The Oscars

Well last night I stayed up past my bedtime again to watch the mother of all award shows... that's right it was The Oscars!! My thoughts on last nights telecast are kind of mixed and well the most I'll say is that it just wasn't memorable. Nothing that happened last night floored me or will stick in my brain. Lets review:

-The fashion was great. More than great. Fantastic. The girls really stepped it up and dressed to impress. My top three were. 
1. Jennifer Lawrence
2. Jessica Chastain
3. Amy Adams and Charlize Theron

I would give my right arm to look like any of these women!

-Seth McFarlane was the host and he did just fine. I mean I didn't have high expectations of him and I knew that something like the "I Saw Your Boobs" song was coming but come on Seth. Its The Oscars. Class it up just a little? I did think some of his jokes were great... but others just fell really flat. My prediction is he will not be asked back. Upside: He did make Tommy Lee Jones laugh which we have all learned is a pretty hard thing to do.

-I had a major issue with the James Bond tribute. Yes it was absolutely amazing to hear Shirely Bassey sing the "Goldfinger" theme but that was it. How can you celebrate the Bond films and not have one single actor that played the iconic part on hand to celebrate? Lame. Lame. Lame.

-My favorite improvement this year was that they added the Jaws theme song to people who were taking too long with their speeches. This was hilarious and a great move by the Academy.

-I loved that Quentin Tarantino won for his Django screenplay. It was well deserved. 

-Performances by both Adele and Jennifer Hudson were beyond flawless.

-It seemed like every single person who won for sound editing or special effects were men with long white hair. I know there is a Harry Potter or a Lord of the Rings joke in here somewhere.

-There was a tie. Not sure that could happen but it did.

-The telecast almost lost me completely when the wheeled out Barbara Streisand to sing "Memories". I'm sorry I thought that you were trying to keep this telecast young?

-The winners were all predictable except for Ang Lee stealing Speilbergs prize for Best Director. Steven didn't look too happy in the crowd. But besides that super happy for Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Lawrence and Argo. I think they are all well deserved winners. 

-It was cool to see Michelle Obama present the Best Picture from the White House.

-Speaking of Jennifer Lawrence she fell on her way to the stage which just makes her more loveable. Especially since she said "Oh stop you are all standing because I fell and you just feel bad" when she got to the mic. 

-Finally thing on JL... she basically won at life in the press room after the show. If you dont' know what I'm talking about then you need to watch the video below. I can't believe they are forced to sit there and answer these peoples questions at one point she correctly states "wow it feels like I'm just picking who the next person to make fun of me is". or her answer to the question of "Do you feel like you have peeked too soon?" "Well now I do...thanks!".


-Overall it was an okay show. Again nothing too crazy or memorable to report. I'm actually a tad disappointed there wasn't more to talk about. 

And that is all for the award season from me. Until next year.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment