Thursday, April 18, 2013

Well I'm Back

Sorry for my absence over the last two days after what had happened in Boston on Monday. I've had some time to reflect and the only thing I can say about it is that there are way more good people than bad people in this world and its only the bad that get the press. We have to remember that. We have to honor those who ran to help. We have to never forget the three people who died and the hundreds that were injured during this incident. I am very proud of the city of Boston and their people this week. The stories I'm hearing are nothing short of amazing. Like this one from a runner named Laura a story I found posted on my friends facebook wall because she knows her.

"As some of you know, I was 1/2 mile from the finish line when the explosion went off. I had no idea what was going on until I finally stopped and asked someone. Knowing my family was at the finish line waiting for me, I started panicking trying to call them. Diverted away from the finish line I started walking down Mass Ave towards Symphony Hall still not knowing where my family was. Right before the intercection of Huntington, I was able to get in touch with Bryan and found out he was with my family and they were safe. I was just so happy to hear his voice that I sat down and started crying. I just couldn't hold it back. At that moment, a couple walking by stopped. The woman took the space tent off her husband, who had finished the marathon, and wrapped it around me. She asked me if I was okay, if I knew where my family was. I reassured her I knew where they were and I would be okay. The man then asked me if I finished to which I nodded "no". He then proceeded to take the medal off from around his neck and placed it around mine. He told me "you are a finisher in my eyes". I was barely able to choke out a "thank you" between my tears. Odds are I with never see this couple again, but I'm hoping that one day they will read this and I will find them again and be able to express to them just what this gesture meant to me. I was so in need of a familiar face at that point in time. This couple reassured me that even though such a terrible thing happened, everything was going to be okay".

So yes. This is what I will take away from what happened on Monday. Even in the most tragic of circumstances there are always good people willing to help each other. Remember that. Final thing is to tell the people in your life every single day how much you love them and appreciate them. This world is certainly a scary place.

Here is the National Anthem from the Boston Bruins game yesterday. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment