Tuesday, June 28, 2011

RIP Clarence Clemons

While I went missing over the last two weeks something tragic happened. The world lost in my opinion what is the greatest saxophone player in history. We have lost a lot of great musicians over the last year but none made me stop in my tracks and just sit. 

The world lost a true talent when Clarence Clemons passed on the morning of  June 19th at the age of 69; he often proclaimed that he was "a born rock 'n' roll sax player. The Big Man, was his nicknamed given to him by band-mate Bruce Springsteen, was the saxophone voice of Springsteen's E Street Band. He was smooth but driven. His rifts can make songs like they did for "Born to Run" and "My City in Ruins". 

In addition, he was a talented studio musician who joined artists ranging from Jackson Brown to Aretha Franklin on recordings. Most recently he backed and was seen in the video for Lady Gagas 'Edge of Glory'.

Yet it was with Springsteen that Clemons had the most success and influence. It wasn't just that he was a great musician, he and Bruce had called each other 'brothers'. The Boss often described Clemons as the King of the World and Master of the Universe. 

Its hard to imagine what will happen to that band without this great soul. 

Like I said before there are not too many artists that make me stop in my tracks but I remember exactly where I was when I heard this news. I was driving down Route 66 with my mom. It came across my blackberry and I without instinct threw on my ipod shuffled right towards this next song; I didn't even listen to the first four minutes but cranked the radio up loud and blasted this windows down for the Big Man who is now playing sweet sweet music in the sky. 



RIP Clarence. Trust me when I say you will be missed.... for added bonus look at him doing his thing on the National Anthem. Seriously could you imagine the jam session between him and LeRoi Moore right now?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment