Friday, November 11, 2011

Pinkerton - Weezer

Someone recently told me that Pinkerton by Weezer was one of their most favorite albums of all time. Anytime I hear this as a music fan I feel the obligation to go back and give it a really good listen to try and hear just what they are saying. 

Okay here is the background on the album. Its the second album after the ever so popular debut album Weezer. It was a big departure from the pop rock sound they hit the airwaves with. Its much darker, much more guitar heavy, and well much more to my liking. Many songs on the album were written when Rivers Como was studying at Harvard, which makes sense when you start listening to the lyrics and the themes they present. 

Here is my take:

Well. After spending a good amount of time over the last day or two going back over this album, I too admit that  its pretty damn great! Weezer... what happened to you! I forgot that your music used to sound like this, that your songs were crafted with care, with lyrics that actually meant something rather then talking about "Beverly Hills". And while this album has been given such accolades as one of the best. Its still shocking to me that it has yet to move over a million in sales. Its everything that is wrong with the music business. That is for sure.

Check out this song here and tell me that any top pop song on the radio is better.

Try. And again, this is just one of a handful of really good songs on the album. 

So yeah... I'll be re-downloading this album immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment