Thursday, January 12, 2012

50 Rules For Dads With Daughters

I was just extremely bored over my lunch hour and decided to head to the internet for entertainment. What a surprise! In my wandering around I came across a blog post that almost made me cry... almost. It was titled "50 Rules for Dads with Daughters" and while I won't bore you with all 50, I do want to include some here because well they are 100% true. The Dad-Daughter relationship is a special one, one that really can't be explained until you are in that position. I'll tell you, I'm the only girl in my family and I wouldn't change that for the world. The relationship I have with my Dad is a great one. I cherish every moment we have shared from going to football games, to sitting on his couch watching documentaries, to our phone conversations where he politely begs for me to "not do anything stupid". I wouldn't change what we have for the entire world. I would also like to say for the record that besides him teaching me how to change a tire (which I believe nobody in my entire family knows how to do) he has done a wonderful job with this list. 

So enjoy these rules and hope that one day you will be as lucky have one of these relationships. 
(Also here is one of my favorite father-daughter songs by Paul Simon)


50 Rules for Dads with Daughters:

2. Always be there. Quality time doesn't happen without quantity time. Hang out together for no other reason than just to be in each other's presence. Be genuinely interested in the things that interest her. She needs her dad to be involved in her life at every stage. Don't just sit idly by while she add years to her...add life to her years.

6.Buy her a glove and teach her to throw a baseball. Make her proud to throw like a girl... a girl with a wicked slider.

9. Of course you look silly playing peek-a-boo. You should play anyway.

12. It's never too early to start teaching her about money. She will probably suck you dry as a teenager... and on her wedding day.

15. Dance with her. Start when she's a little girl or even when she's a baby. Don't wait till her wedding day.

17. Learn to say no. She may pitch a fit today, but someday you'll both be glad you stuck to your guns.

21. Let her hold the wheel. She will always remember when daddy let her drive.

25. Letting her ride on your shoulders is pure magic. Do it now while you have a strong back and she's still tiny.

28. She will eagerly await your return home from work in the evenings. Don't be late.

32. Let her roll around in the grass. It's good for her soul. It's not bad for yours either.

34. Somewhere between the time she turns three and her sixth birthday, the odds are good that she will ask you to marry her. Let her down gently.

39. Holding her upside down by the legs while she giggles and screams uncontrollably is great for your biceps. WARNING: She has no concept of muscle fatigue.

42. Let her know she can always come home. No matter what.
43. Remember just like a butterfly, she too will spread her wings and fly some day. Enjoy her caterpillar years.
45. Learn to trust her. Gradually give her more freedom as she gets older. She will rise to the expectations you set for her.

48. Ice cream covers a multitude of sins. Know her favorite flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment