Friday, January 20, 2012

Happy Birthday Janis Joplin!

Happy Birthday Janis Joplin! 
"Don't compromise yourself; its all you've got" 

Born in a small refinery town in Texas Janis Joplin was first polished her talent in small blues clubs and coffeehouses in San Fran and Venice Beach. It was at these places her signature bottle of Southern Comfort became her trademark. She formed Big Brother and the Holding Company who wowed audiences at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. A year later she broke out into a solo career which lead her to her first hit "Try (Just a Little Bit Harder). She sadly died of a heroin overdose beforeher album Pearl was released, containing the Joplin classics "Me and Bobby McGee" and "Mercedes Benz". 

I love me some Janis Joplin. I think her voice is amazing and well, she wasn't afraid to be who she was going to be. 

"All my life I just wanted to be a beatnik. Meet all the heavies, get stoned, get laid, have a good time. That's all I ever wanted. Except I knew I had a good voice and I could always get a couple beers off of it. All of a sudden someone threw me in this rock 'n' roll band. They three these musicians at me, man, and the sound was coming from behind. The bass was charging me. And I decided then and there that was it. I never wanted to do anything else. It was better than it had been with any man, you know. Maybe that's the trouble."

No comments:

Post a Comment