Thursday, January 31, 2013

Top 5 Super Bowl Halftime Performances

Okay Okay well it seems as if there is a little debate on what was the best SB Halftime performance in the history of the event. While I'm sticking with my Michael Jackson pick for number 1. Here is what in my opinion are the other "Top 5 Halftime Performances"

1. Michael Jackson
 (reasons stated below)

2. U2 
The year 2002. It was about 5 months after we experienced 9/11 and who else to bring emotions to the big game than my man Bono. Songs like "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Beautiful Day" were perfect for the event. Not to mention Bono the front man running through the crowd and around the crowd at amazing speeds. How that man has enough energy to do that amazes me. But either way they put on a show that will stand the test of time. Easily would have been my #1 if not for MJ.


3. Paul McCartney

I love Paul McCartney so its not strange that his performance is in my top 3. While the setlist was a bit odd "Drive My Car" and "Get Back".... you can never go wrong closing with "Live and Let Die" or "Hey Jude" and lets be honest he could get up there on his piano and play "Chopsticks" and I would have still had him in my top 5. It was probably a safe bet booking McCartney this year... I mean it was the year after the crazy controversial Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson debacle. 


4. Diana Ross

Oh Diana Ross. What can I say more about Diana that I haven't already said on this blog. I love this woman. She is such a Diva in the best possible ways. She was invited to play the Super Bowl for its 30 year anniversary. Instead of donig the elaborate sets and crazy special effects she paid homage to her Supremes roots with a medley of songs from that era including "Baby Love" and "Stop in the Name of Love". Anyone who is a fan of music would have enjoyed her performance.

My favorite part is the performances of "I Will Survive" and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". Especially when her helicopter flew down, landed on the field and she got in during her performance and flew away just like a boss... or a Ross... 

Either way it was a badass Diva move to pull, and she pulled it off flawlessly. 


5. Prince

This post is for my boyfriend because well I'm afraid if I do not add Prince to this list my great relationship will be short lived. I will admit this, I'm not the biggest Prince fan. Shock! I know I know. I have mad respect for the man and what he has done for the music industry but I'm just not a die hard. What he does doesn't get me all crazy. But I will give him this. The combination of "All Along the Watchtower" Into "Best of You" and finishing with "Purple Rain" could have been the best closing halftime songs in show history. 

I can't find a video to post. I'll keep looking

And there you have it. My top 5. Beyonce has some big shoes to fill this weekend, I really don't think she will do too bad. I mean it won't be hard to top Madonna from last year right?

I'm rooting for you B.

No comments:

Post a Comment