Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Meet Eddie Redmayne

The adorable actor on the right is Eddie Redmayne. You may remember him from his role in "A Week With Marilyn  last year, but his work in Les Miserables is sure to make him a household name. 

He plays Marius in the adaptation and Eddies performance as the love struck revolutionary is downright surprising. Who knew he could sing like that? 

My favorite quote that I have read from one of his interviews was his answer to the question: Why do you think so many people like this story?

"I think people love it because there is this over-arching message of hope, and redemption and the idea of loving the person next to you. Starting your own revolution just by loving the people close to you. As you get older, the reason people keep going back to Les Mis is because they keep the score, this beautiful music, in their hearts and their souls."

Plus I would say that Eddie has one of the most moving numbers in the film. When he sings "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" he is imagining that he is back in the cafe with his revolutionary buddies. But instead all his buddies are gone and he is singing about the loss. Its gut wrenching and the first part of the film where I completely lost it. 

I look forward to seeing Eddie in films for years to come.

Just take a look at the lyrics. And then yes, I'm posting the song again. Its better here in context anyways.

"There's a grief that can't be spoken
There's a pain goes on and on
Empty chairs at empty tables
Now my friends are dead and gone 
Here they talked of revolution

Here it was they lit the flame
Here they sang about tomorrow

And tomorrow never came.

From the table in the corner
They could see a world reborn

And they rose with voices ringing

And I can hear them now! 
The very words that they had sung
Became their last communion
On the lonely barricade... At dawn. 

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me. 
That I live and you are gone

There's a grief that can't be spoken

There's a pain goes on and on 
Phantom faces at the window
Phantom shadows on the floor
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will meet no more. 
Oh my friends, my friends, don't ask me

What your sacrifice was for

Empty chairs at empty tables

Where my friends will sing no more..."

No comments:

Post a Comment