Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Meet Samantha Barks

Okay fine. Lets just call this what it is. Its Les Mis day here on the blog. Its all that is on my mind. That movie was really amazing. So I've decided to do a little spotlight on another actor that really stole the movie. Her name is Samantha Banks and she played the character that everybody loves Eponine.

Eponine (as that website I posted before) is best described by a girl who is forever in the friends zone. This girl has struck out in life and you literally spend half the movie rooting for her. And from the sounds of it Samantha was born to play this role.

At the mere age of 22 many believe she was destined to play this character in the film. She used to sing the iconic character's songs into her mirror at the age of six, and years later would go on to earn acclaim playing the tragic innkeepers daughter in London West End and during Les Mis's famous 25th anniversary concert. 

She is a standout and the only non movie actor chosen for this adaptation. And I know I said that Anne Hathaway deserves the Best Supporting Oscar... if Samantha got it, it wouldn't shock me one bit.

Here is what she said about performing the classic "On My Own". Which after her stage run she has sung she guesses "Over 400 times".

"And its funny because every time I hear that song, or perform that song, it just sets my heart on fire. Its such a tragic tale. Its a role I relate to so much that getting to perform that song, every single time makes me feel so alive. I feel so lucky to get to sing it."

I know I posted her version from the movie before, but watch her sing it on stage at the 25th Anniversary Concert. If you are not moved by this, I question the status of your soul.

(side note: I laugh at that they almost let Taylor Swift play this role)

No comments:

Post a Comment