Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Republicans Fail NY/NJ

This is not a political blog. Repeat. Not a political blog. Yet sometimes I see some things that angers me so much that I have no choice but to vent on here. I'm sorry. If you do not like it just scroll down to the next post. 

Last night I couldn't sleep. I found myself up at around 3 a.m. watching one of the 7 channels I get in my bedroom. That channel C-SPAN. Now usually this channel will put me right out but what I saw last night was just too riveting to turn off. So while most of us were watching football and taking naps on our couch yesterday the House of Representatives were meeting to discuss the bills that were set to be voted on... and from the looks of it some shit went down. 

From what I gathered the Speaker Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor reneged on their promise to pass the 60 billion dollar relief fund headed towards the NY/NJ residents that were effected by Sandy. 

This lead to complete and utter chaos. Representatives no matter their party lines were outraged and let the Speaker know it last night. Person after person stepped up to the mic calling out Boehner and Cantor for literally leaving these residents to suffer. 

My favorite came from the GOP Rep Peter King (R-NY) who literally took aim at his own party. And I could not agree more. So people wake up. We are not on vacation anymore... is this the kind of country you really want to be a part of?

"KING: No one even told us, the Speaker walked off the floor, told an aide to the Majority Leader that the Congress was finished. There were no votes and they come back and told us. Listen, I’m not taking this as personal offense. I’m talking about the thousands of people in my district, hundreds of thousands of people throughout the New York-New Jersey area. Within 10 days after Katrina, $60 billion was appropriated. Nine weeks after Sandy, not one penny has been appropriated. And let me just make this one point. These Republicans have no problem finding New York when they’re out raising millions of dollars. They’re in New York all the time filling pockets with money from New Yorkers. I’m saying anyone from New York and New Jersey who contributes one penny to Congressional Republicans is out of their mind. Because what they did last night was put a knife in the back of New Yorkers and New Jerseyans, it was an absolute disgrace. …
Why the Republican party has bias against New York, this bias against New Jersey, this bias against the Northeast. They wonder why they’re becoming minority party. Why we’ll be party of the permanent minority. What they did last night was so immoral, so disgraceful, so irresponsible. They’re supposed to be the party of family values. And you have families that are starving, families that are suffering, families that are spread all over living in substandard housing. This was a disgrace. They are inexcusable. And they have had it. As far as I’m concerned I’m on my own. They’re going to have to go a long way to get my vote on anything."

No comments:

Post a Comment