Sunday, February 10, 2013

Grammy Awards 2013

Hello! I'm bringing you a special post this Sunday night. A live recap of the Grammy Awards!! I know I know you all are probably sick of me and award shows but thats who I am. I am an award show junkie. Blame my mother and her Ms. America pageant parties when I was a kid. Now a small warning before I start. I know that my grammar and spelling isn't always the best but I can guarantee that tonight will certainly be bad. I will be doing this on the fly so please bare with me. It may also be long...

So here we go 2013 Grammy Awards!!!

We should start with the red carpet. I will say that I find it hilarious that CBS and the Grammy's sent the attendees a fashion dress code asking for no side boob or extra skin. Its the Grammy's... I'm pretty sure that nobody is going to listen to that. 

So far I have seen a man in a full space suit helmet and all, Rick Ross smoking a cigar the size of my arm, J. Lo's entire leg is out, Ryan Secrest hit Taylor Swift in the face with a microphone, Amber Rose looks like she should have given birth yesterday, someone forgot to tell Chris Brown that nobody cares about him or his attendance tonight, Nicole Kidman looks absolutely terrified on the carpet she is surely out of her element, Adele looks like she is having a blast...hard not to when you owned this award show last year, FUN are looking as hipster as ever and I audibly cheered when I saw Alabama Shakes hit the carpet.

I am looking forward tonight to the Lumineers performance, Justin Timberlakes comeback performance, Kelly Clarkson winning a bunch of awards, and Sting with a Bob Marley tribute. I will say with Mumford and Sons, The Black Keys, Alabama Shakes and Ed Sheeran there is a lot to be excited about tonight. Lets get this show started...  

-Well it looks like they are getting Taylor Swifts performance out of the way first. She is singing that song that is everywhere you turn at the moment "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together". She looks and sounds great (look at those legs... oh to be 20 again). I love you Taylor but I really hope I never ever ever hear that song ever again.

-Oh wow didn't realize that LL Cool J was hosting again this year. As Miley Cyrus says I guess thats "pretty cool". Oh no he just called Taylor T-Swizzle. This could be a long night. Move it along LL. 

-Holy Shit. A crowd shot just showed Rihanna and Chris Brown sitting together. Remember he beat the shit out of her the night before this award show a few years ago. You have gotta be kidding me. You know how I feel about these two but come on CBS please do not show them again. Please. 

-These awards are known for their strange duets. Up first is Ed Sherran and Elton John singing his hit "A Team". I'm a fan of Ed's and am glad he is getting a shot at the big stage tonight. Must be a cool moment to be a kid from England and have Elton singing one of your songs with you.

-Back from our first commercial break and we are finally presenting an award. Pit Bull and J. Lo are presenting Best Pop Solo Performance. Great joke by J. Lo "as you can see I read the memo" ha. Way to play by your own rules J. Lo. As for the award I think it should go to... Adele "Set Fire to the Rain" or Kelly Clarksons "Stronger". The winner is... Yup Adele has this one on lock. Good for her it was from her performance at Royal Albert Hall one of the best music dvd's i've ever seen.

-Hey Neil Patrick Harris. I love you! He is here to introduce one of my favorites from this year... FUN are performing! I know my boyfriend hates this band but I can't deny this kids voice. He can sing and their songs are catchy. This performance is also very impressive its literally pouring down on stage Also glad they are singing "Carry On" its my favorite from their entire album. "may your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground...carry on"

-John Mayer wearing a ridiculous blue velvet suit and Bonnie Raitt looking as great as ever are here to introduce the country portion of the evening. I will be taking my break and catching up with the BAFTA (British Oscars also playing now on BBC) right now. Sorry country you don't have me until Drew Kennedy is on that stage.

-Next is a new artist that I have no idea who it is, they say his name is Miguel? He is performing with Wiz Khalifa. Nothing special about this performance at all except for the ridiculous pinstripe suits they are both wearing. They are staying on stage to present a country award which I find hilarious. The winner of "Best Solo Performance Country" is: Carrie Underwood. American Idol in the house! Carrie looks amazing as always... her dress is to die for!!

-We are back again for music's biggest night. Here is the award for "Song of the Year" should be a highly contested category but I'll be pulling for Kelly Clarkson on this one. Winner is: FUN with "We are Young". I can't be mad at this. 

-Hey Johnny Depp is here to present Mumford and Sons. Please hold while I dance around my apartment for the next 3 minutes. I love these guys!! Also I love how Taylor Swift is without shame singing along... she looks like the only person there that is actually having fun. Lighten up people!

-Hey its Ellen Degeneres and Beyonce. I hate what Beyonce is wearing and well lets be honest Ellen looks no different then she does any day. OMG. It's time for Justin Timberlake's performance. I've waited for this for about six years. Wow not like I ever doubted it but Justin has not missed a beat. Not a huge fan of the "Suit and Tie" song but he looks, sounds and is dancing like he never took a break. He also just called out Jay-Z who came out of his seat to rap. Bonus. Okay he is now performing a new song and well I love it. Full orchestra. Jazzy. Funky. I love it. (I'm such a girl when it comes to JT... some things you can just not help). For the first time of the night the entire crowd is on its feet, the music world is glad that Justin is back, and obviously so am I. 


-Kelly Rowland and Nas are on stage to present the award for a new category "Best Urban Contemporary Album". I swear to god if they give it to Chris Brown I quit. Winner is: thankfully Frank Ocean. I don't get this mans music but  a lot do so good for him. 

-Dave Grohl is back and they just announced he has won 13 Grammys. Thats nuts. Hes out to talk about the engineers, producers and all those guys his new documentary "Sound City" talks about. He announced Producer of the Year went to Black Keys Dan Auerbach in the early ceremony. He is also giving the award for "Best Rock Performance". I'm pulling for the underdog Alabama Shakes but pretty sure Black Keys have this one. Winner: Yup "Lonely Boy" by The Black Keys win it. Their second album not as great as their first but it still rocks. 

-Next performance is another duet by Alecia Keys and Maroon 5. I thought this performance was actually pretty fantastic especially when Alecia took to the drums. Bravo. Also it looks like the crowd has finally woken up. 

-Award for "Best Pop Vocal Album" is next and well if Kelly Clarkson doesn't take this one down the Grammys failed her. She deserves it, she has easily the best pop voice in the game. Winner: Yay Kelly!! She looks genuinely shocked and has the best speech of the night so far. I'm happy. 

-Here is a performance from Rihanna who I am going to avoid due to her choice in dates tonight. Do yourself a favor girl go home and call a therapist. I'm pretty sure you need one.

-We now have the award for the "Best Rap Song/Collaboration" Carly Rae Jepson is presenting. Yes the "Call Me Maybe" girl. Ugh. The winner is: "No Church in the Wild" by Jay-Z and Kanye West. Thankfully Kanye is not here to accept but Jay-Z is.

-My girl Kat Dennings is on stage to introduce The Black Keys. They sound fantastic!! Have a full New Orleans jazz band backing them, an amazing choice. They literally just blew the stage apart. Maybe my favorite performance so far. 


-Kelly Clarkson is given the honor to sing the praises of two of the evenings "Lifetime Achievement Award" winners Patty Page and Carole King. Well she just proved why she just won an award, this girls voice is easily one of the best in the business. She is effortlessly powerful and pure. I could watch her sing songs all day long. 


(Small break to remind you that I did warn you that this post could get a little long... hopefully if you have made it to this point you are finding it oddly entertaining. We have about an hour left... we can do this people!)

-Next is "Best Country Album" and well I couldn't tell you one thing about the nominees. Sorry. Zach Brown Band won. Congrats I guess... 

-Here it goes. A Bob Marley Tribute with Sting, Rihanna and Bruno Mars. First is Bruno... and well he always kills it live, not a huge fan but again he is a good performer. Here comes one of my favorites ever Sting!!! And again another shot of Taylor Swift dancing like she is having the time of her life in the crowd makes me just love her that much more. They jam for a while before Rihanna comes out with Ziggy Marley. And the place just turned into a reggae jam fest. I may or may not be dancing in between sentences. Definitely singing "Could You Be Loved" one of my favorite Marley tunes ever. I love me some Bob Marley and it looks like everyone there does too because the crowd is loving it. I loved the performance but to be honest I expected a little bit more. 

-Really happy to see our next performers take the stage. I love The Lumineers, they are a true indie music success story. I love their sound, the vibe of the band members and their style. This is my type of band. 


-They finish their performance and introduce someone I had no idea was performing but I am STOKED. It's Jack White. He gives an amazing performance and I remember why this man is one of the rarities in rock music these days. I wonder if he is touring anywhere near here soon, I would love to see him live. 

-Okay here we go with "Best New Artist". Please not the "Call Me Maybe" girl. Anyone but her. ANYONE BUT HER. Here we go, Katy Perry is there to present the award and the winner is: Fun. While I was really hoping for the Alabama Shakes to win this I again can not be mad at their decision, Fun. had quite the year.

-I have no idea who Hunter Hayes is or why is is singing on my television right now. Oh I guess he is singing the introduction to Carrie Underwood. Wow Carrie looks and sounds flawless. Again one of those effortless talents. I guess American Idol can really get it right sometimes. Great performance.

-Here is a big award "Record of the Year". Wow Prince is giving this award out and he comes out like a boss full cane and all. haha So ridiculous I love it. The Winner is: Wow Gotye wins. Just when I got "Somebody That I Used To Know" out of my head its instantly back in. Damn you Gotye. 

-For some reason they are brining Justin Timberlake back on stage and I approve.

-Oh man its the sad part in the show. The "In Memory" portion and I will just mention some big ones: Donna Summer, Andy Williams, Robin Gibb, Davy Jones, Dick Clark, Andy Griffith, ADAM YAUCH, AND LEVON HELM. 

-I have been waiting for this Levon Helm tribute performance all night. Elton John starts off on piano singing "The Weight" with an all star cast including Brittney Howard from the Alabama Shakes and Mavis Staples surrounding him. They sound so great. I'm going to pause and just enjoy this for a moment. Wow. Just wow. That was easily the performance of the night (I watched it twice). Everyone sounded great and they certainly picked the right man to pay tribute to... we miss you Levon!

-I guess the man who won the Latin Album of the Year (I missed his name) is on stage singing Elton John's "Your Song". Not sure why... he sounds great just a little out of place. He finishes and introduces Frank Ocean. Like I stated before much respect to this man that a lot of people seem to be enjoying... Its just not my cup of tea. 

Only a little bit more left... we are almost there. If you are still with me you deserve an award yourself. Contact me for where to pick that up.

-Adele is back on stage to present the biggest award of the night for "Album of the Year". As you know she won this last year and this years competition is fierce! I do believe the winner should be either Mumford & Sons or Jack White. The winner actually is: Yes. Mumford takes this one home. I forgot for a moment that the lead singer is married to actress Carrie Mulligan. Moving on. These boys look genuinely humbled. I think their album that the put out last year was one of the best and they deserved this one. 

-Alright we made it to the end, only one last performance left. LL Cool J takes the stage to actually perform this time with his friends Chuck D, Tom Morello and Travis Barker. Right on. This is a great way to end the show! PS Tom Morello is a beast. 

Well we made it to the end of yet another Grammy Awards. I have to admit this show was actually the best one I have watched in years. The performances as a whole were really good, the awards went to people who deserved them and the show flowed pretty well. Bravo to all involved. 

Thats a wrap for me. Time to go to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment