Monday, January 31, 2011

65 Red Roses

Saturday was a special day. 

Saturday I woke up and while laying in my bed checking my many social media feeds I read a sentence that hasn't made me smile this big in a really long time. It was from my friend Amy and it read:
"I heard that pretty Eva's (above) story is going to air on Oprah's new network. I loved communicating with Eva while she was here and she'd be so happy to know that her documentary will air"
I immediately jumped up. 
Now....Rewind this story to about 10 months ago. 

Last year on a Sunday afternoon in March I wrote this special blog article titled: Yesterday Was Just One of Those Days. It was a story about a beautiful spirited girl up in Canada named Eva and her struggles with Cystic Fibrosis. I originally was introduced to Eva and her blog "65 Red Roses" by Amy who was at the time working for the CF Foundation, and like hundreds across the world was instantly hooked on Eva's passion for life. 

I followed Eva's blog for months and months. Every morning I would check in with her updates. Reading the good the bad and the real ugliness that comes with having CF. It was a real character study about a young woman and her will to survive, at any costs. It was inspiring and uplifting. Everyday I just watched, hoped and prayed that she would make it through this the other side. 

Unfortunately, Eva lost her battle last March. 
But it was the world that lost out the most. 

The world lost a beautiful spirit. Full of hope, love and dreams. A life cut too short by a disease that takes too many young lives each year. 
Yet this spirit, this inspirational young beautiful spirit refuses to burn out. 

You see in her last year of life, Eva did something that will live on forever. She with the help of some fantastic filmmaker friends made a documentary about living with Cystic Fibrosis and what it means to have this disease. And what it is really like to need a double lung transplant at the age of 23 to survive. 

The movie was completed right before Eva's death last year and was shown at many local theaters and fundraisers throughout Canada. Yet Saturday again the power of Eva got this movie into the right hands. 

During the Sundance Film Festival somehow, some way, the little movie that could made its way into Oprah's lap and well....before the bilnk of an eye it was chosen to premiere on Oprah's new network OWN as part of her new: Docu-series. (Article Here)

This is an amazing feat. Just amazing. Its really everything Eva ever wanted and dreamed of. Her story will be shared. People are going to hear her. Someone has listened. This life is not forgotten. It never will be. 

Saturday was an incredible day. Just incredible. 
Eva would have been so happy. 

So what did I do for the rest of the day.....
I went out and lived. Just like Eva would have wanted me to.
Stay tuned I'll let you know when its going to air on OWN!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see it. Thanks, Katie, for caring about Eva as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete