Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Great Man

Hunter S. Thompson and Bill Murray. Two legends of their own right. 

I watched a documentary about Hunter the other night and it just reminded me how much I love him and the way he used to write. Nobody else can even come close to his style. Not even close....

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming..."Wow! What a Ride!"

"Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mold-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final."

"If I'd written the truth I knew for the past ten years, about 600 people -- including me -- would be rotting in prison cells from Rio to Seattle today. Absolute truth is a very rare and dangerous commodity in the context of professional journalism"

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others-the living- are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later."

"My concept of death for a long time was to come down that mountain road at 120 and just keep going straight right there, burst out through the barrier and hang out above all that... and there I'd be, sitting in the front seat, stark naked, with a case of whiskey next to me and a case of dynamite in the trunk...honking the horn, and the lights on, and just sit there in space for an instant, a human bomb, and fall down to that mess of steel mills. It'd be a tremendous goddamn explosion. No pain. No one would get hurt. I'm pretty sure, unless they've changed the highway, that launching pad is still there. As soon as I get home, I ought to take the drive just to check it out."

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

RIP to one of my favorite authors of all time.... the one the only Gonzo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment