Monday, January 11, 2010

DMB

I have spent a good portion of my life not only listening to Dave Matthews but defending his actions to the masses. Yes I get it, he is not everyones cup of tea. Yes I get it, many think that the man and his band sold out. Yes I get it, in the year 2010 Daves voice sounds more like a 70 year old man who has smoked too many cigarettes. But like the NY Yankees I will defend this man to my dying breath. Why you may ask? Well its simple.

When I first started listening to Dave I was in middle school and my older brother had gotten a tape of one of his live concerts. I believe the recording was from a bar here in Virginia, and it wasn't the best recording that I had heard, yet at that time I heard something that I had never heard before. Here was a band with horns with a lead singer playing an acoustic guitar and screaming out some very catchy lyrics like "Eat drink and be merry...for tomorrow we die". How could you not start tapping your feet to his music.

Well from middle school, to high school, to college and beyond I have continued listening to his music. Its music that somehow speaks to me. Daves voice, the lyrics, the sound of the mighty band he has surrounded around him. Speaking of his band, I do believe it is one of the best out there right now. Dave was very smart when he started DMB, knowing that while he probably had the lyrics to some great songs, he surrounded himself with musicians that are unique and yes, better then he is. Dave is not the stand out for this group. On any night at any show, one of the five members could be called upon to make it his own.

Yet as for Dave its no lie that I fell in love with him as well as his band. Something about the way he moves on stage or the lyrics of his songs, or his quirky way of singing or playing guitar. I love him. I do.

So, here is one of my favorite DMB songs of all time from a Dave and Tim tour in 1994 "Lie in our Graves". Just listen to this song and you will understand that no matter what this band does I will support it. This was a time when Daves voice still sounded like a young mans and Tims guitar playing is just unreal. It is songs like this and shows like these will make it tough for anyone to take DMBs place.

No comments:

Post a Comment