Thursday, May 31, 2012

John Mayer: Born and Raised


Last night I did something that I never really thought that I would do. I got home and found a package in my mailbox. It was from my older brother. He got the opportunity to meet John Mayer last week and was gracious enough to have him sign one of his new cd's for his music loving sister. The CD came with a note "This is the album of the year.... give it a chance". 

Now here is a brief background. I have had a love hate relationship with John Mayer for years. Some of his stuff I love and some of it I think is just cocky and terrible. I don't even know if I ever sat down and just listened to one of his records. Well last night this changed, and well to be completely honest I'm really glad that I gave his new album "Born and Raised" a chance. 

Its actually fantastic and ranks near the top of all the albums I've heard so far this year. To me John Mayers "Born and Raised" album shows the world that he is ready to redeem himself. Mayer knows that he has talent, something we can all agree on. But what I think sets this album apart from his past works is that he is finally starting to be humble to that talent. (Maybe the move to Montana wasn't such a bad idea). You can read it all over the record that he is genuinely regretful for his past arrogance and seems to be back to the place where making music makes him happy. And really isn't that all we can ask for from an artist?

Here are some of my favorite songs from the album (that if I haven't suggested by now, I suggest that you too give it a chance.)

First off is "Whiskey, Whiskey, Whiskey" with the overly depressing line:
"Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey, water, water, water, sleep. Dreamt that someone missed me, wake up, shake it off, and repeat"


Next is "The Age of Worry" with my favorite lyrics:
"Close your eyes and clone yourself; build your heart an army
To defend your innocence; while you do everything wrong
Don't be scared to walk alone; Don't be scared to like it
There's no time that you must be home
So sleep where darkness falls"


Also love the song the album is named for "Born and Raised"
"So line on up, and take your place
And show your face to the morning
Cause one of these days you'll be born and raised
And it all comes on without warning"


And finally "Speak for Me" which if I had to choose could be my favorite. 
"Would have liked to know; have to learn to let it go
Show me something I can be; play a song that I can sing
Make me feel as I am free
Someone come speak for me"

No comments:

Post a Comment