Tuesday, May 8, 2012

RIP Maurice Sendak

One of my favorite authors of one of my favorite childhood books "Where the Wild Things Are" has died at the age of 83. The book earned Sendak a prestigious Caldecott Medal for the best children's book of 1964 and became a hit movie in 2009. President Bill Clinton awarded Sendak a National Medal of the Arts in 1996 for his vast portfolio of work. 

I remember vividly as a child reading this book in my bedroom over and over and over again. What is not to love about a story of a boy who runs away to 'where the wild things are' and becomes king. 

My favorite quote I ever read from the man was just a few years ago when he talked about his favorite fan letter he had ever received. 

"Once a little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children's letters - sometimes very hastily - but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote "Dear Jim: I loved your card." Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said "Jim loved your card so much he ate it." That to me was one of the highest compliments I've ever received. He didn't care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it"

RIP Maurice I'm sure the heavens just cried out "Let the wild rumpus start!"

No comments:

Post a Comment