Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Movie of the Year: Les Miserables

Last night I went to the movies and saw what should easily win the Oscar race for Best Picture. Les Miserables was hands down the best movie I have seen this year. Everything from the amazing soundtrack, to the acting, scenery, costumes, the entire thing from beginning to end was a stunning masterpiece. If you are a fan of music theatre or a fan of epic movies in general, get yourself to a theater and see this immediately!

This movie did everything right. For the first time a movie musical was filmed with live action singing and you could feel the difference. When these amazing actors were singing the songs rather than lip singing and adding the music in post production, ou could see the emotion in the faces of the characters and those were matched by the powerful singing. It was extremely effective. A great move for director Tom Hooper (The Kings Speech). 

For example when Anne Hathaway delivered in its entirety, a capella, with a camera six inches from her face the classic "I Dreamed a Dream". You literally see every quiver in her mouth and in her eyes, the despair, humiliation and fury that "life has killed the dream she dreamed". It was one of the most moving things I've ever seen captured on film. Hathaway deserves every single award coming her way.

It is fitting because anyone who knows anything about the Broadway play knows that Hathaway's own mother played the role on Broadway, and quit to devote herself to parenting. Talk about full circle! 

In the same right, Hugh Jackman will have a battle with Daniel Day Lewis for the Oscar this year. What he brought to his character was essential to the film working so well. Jackman's performance as Jean Valjean will be looked at as one of the best in its category. He is an unbelievable actor and the fact he has a voice and stage presence to match it is incredible to watch.

I could sit here and break down every single performance that I saw last night, but I would be here all day and you will no longer read my blog. Just take this with you. Go see this movie. Its what movies are all about. Bring tissues, it will tear your heart out. Be prepared to spend $15 on itunes for the soundtrack after. Overall the best movie experience I have had in a really long time.

Here are some of my favorite songs from the movie soundtrack.

Hathaway Singing "I Dreamed A Dream"

The Heartbreaking "On My Own" 

My favorite song "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" (more on this later)

The Ending:

No comments:

Post a Comment