Friday, June 25, 2010

Never Can Say Goodbye....

It was one year ago today. June 25, 2009 around 4 p.m. This is when my phone started rining with a text from my older brother. It was short sweet and to the point, for there was not much else to say... the text read. "MJ Died" It didn't need to say anything else. No other words would have lessened the blow of learning that the living legend known as Michael Jackson had just died.

The world then stopped. Completely.

Every single person sat home that night watching the news, looking for answers and just not wanting to believe it. For you see MJ was the man of our time. Say whatever you want about his career in the last ten years but this man is hands down the greatest artist of my generation. He completely changed the game, threw it up on its head and danced his way into history. And thats what people didn't want to let go. Nobody wanted to believe the tragic news, but it was true. MJ was gone.

We all know his career, from the Jackson 5, to Thriller to We Are The World and beyond. His music spans generations. His videos are iconic. He will never ever be forgotten. All I can think about is how lucky I was to be alive while this man made his music. I remember the crazy video premieres (especially Thriller because it scared the living daylights out of me), I remember the pepsi commercial, the changes to his appearance, the trials I remember it all. But there will still be one thing that I will always be impressed with (beyond the music of course). It was his fans.
Now these people are dedicated.
They are hands down the most dedicated fans that I have ever seen before in my life. Anywhere that this man would show up, a hotel, a concert venue even a courtroom they would show up by the thousands. With signs, t-shirts, posters anything and everything with Michael on it. They would pass out at the sight of him, cry being within five feet of him, they just absolutely adored him. And well really who can blame them? He was amazing.

Like I said before. Say what you will about Michael Jacksons career or life in the last 10 years. No matter what that will never ever erase the impact this man had on the music industry and especially to musicians today. And thats why the world stopped for a moment when this legend died. A big piece of our culture went with him and all we have left is his music which I guarantee will live on forever. My kids will listen to it, I will tell them stories, I will always treasure what this man brought to our world.

MJ you are missed.

Now enjoy this performance which I think sums up the man, his fans, the music, the experience that is Michael Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment