Thursday, June 3, 2010

Something Always Brings Me Back To You....

The song "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles I believe is a completely underrated song for so many reasons. This song off her debut album was hands down my favorite and I carry it with me when I'm just having one of those moments. There are many things I like about it, but the thing I love the most is the way that this song could be interpreted. It can be interpreted in so many different ways and possibilities it can make your head spin.

To many its a song about love, about not letting go, about no matter what that person does you come back to them every single time. There is no escape in this song. Its about control. Yet last year I was watching a dance program that used this song to depict something very different and all of a sudden the song changed. It was about something completely different, and it made total sense. You see this tug of war game that she sings about in her song could absolutely be related to drug addiction. Think about the opening lyrics "something always brings me back to you, it never takes too long" or "You loved me 'cause I'm fragile, when I thought that I was strong. But you touch me for a little while and all my fragile strength is gone."

Its a battle this song, its a struggle to keep yourself while something else is controlling you. The song lyrics are powerful. They have so much meaning behind them. And that last note, those last few breaths. This song is alive. This is the way music ballads are supposed to be sung. With passion, almost rushed to get out. This is music. This song is close to perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment