Monday, August 2, 2010

Bucket List: Concert Festivals

I know Bucket Lists are weird for some people. Thankfully, I'm not one of those. I have one, have had one for years. I don't know if I call it my bucket list or rather "cool shit that I want to do". On this list includes everything from taking route 80 from NJ to CA, climb out of the Grand Canyon and learning how to play the piano. Yet they also include the music festivals that I MUST attend. Two are more important than the others. These two need to be completed asap. I just don't know if I could go another year without it. Hearing about who awesome they are, seeing the line-ups and pictures, its almost painful how much I want to go.

Thats it. Next year 2011. I'm going to one of these. I'm putting it in print now.
It will come true. It will come true!

The two festivals I'm talking about are Jazz Fest in New Orleans and The Newport Folk Festival.

I don't know which one to even start with, they are both amazing. Easily the best festivals in the country for each genre. The weekends of both of these festivals is filled with both big name and unknown musicans, converging on one city for an amazing weekend of music. They play multiple stages, they hit up late night bars for gigs, people even set up on the street. Its music heaven.

I've talked about Jazz Fest in the past so lets talk about the Folk Festival now. This festival has been a tradition since 1959. It has given the start to many up in-coming artists, giving them a chance to hone their skills along side with some of the best in the game. The festival has had its share of big names and bigger events, most popular being the whole "Electric Controversy" over Bob Dylan in1965. You remember when Dylan famously plugged in his guitar sending the whole "folk" tradition out the window.

The 2010 Newport Folk Festival took place this weekend and well I'm not sure if the line-up could have gotten much better. For example, Saturday night.


ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

That day alone would have made the journey up there, more than worth it!!

The rest of the weekend was filled with great artists like Brandi Carlile, John Prine, Yim Yames and the Punch Brothers.

I need to go to this next year. I just have to be there. Again, if I saw that Saturday night, it could be my music fill for a year. (Yeah your right not a year, but definitely a summer!)

Enjoy the Avett Brothers performance from the 2010 festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment