Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top 10 Beatles Songs of All Time

Now here is a list I can really get behind.

First and foremost this post here is dedicated to my wonderful mother who without I'm not quite sure I would be as in love with The Beatles as I am today. Anytime I hear their songs, lyrics or even see a picture of them I am brought back to that moment in high school where my mother really explained to me how crazy of a fan she really was. That day my mother changed in my eyes, she was no longer just my mom. She was in fact once young, and crazy and lived and breathed music. Because of her I am the music fan I am today. That I know for sure.

So, continuing on with this post, Rolling Stone Magazine has dedicated a special issue to the "Top 100 Beatles Songs of All Time". Its available to purchase through Barnes and Nobles and well its quickly been added to my Christmas list for this year. There was never and I believe will never be as good as a writing team as their was with Lennon/McCartney. The songs they made, at the time they made them were not only groundbreaking but they pretty much wrote the book for music for the next 50 years. All the good artists out there today, most of them list The Beatles as one of their influences. I mean how could you not? Again, they basically termed the word groundbreaking.

Well, as many know I can go on for hours about Beatles facts but really lets just get to the list. I will state that I have taken this list right from Rolling Stone (including their reasonings behind it), I'm glad they were able to do it because well if you asked me it would have taken me a good three years to make this list. That and they did a pretty fantastic job, the number 1 is easily the one I would have chosen, but their reasons on the top 10 are just great.

Enjoy!!!

10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
The lyrics for George Harrisons first truly great Beatles song began with him choosing the phrase "gently weeps" from a random book. It wasn't until Harrison pulled Eric Clapton in to play guitar that the arrangement was finished.

9. Come Together
Originally inteded by Lennon as a campaign song for LSD guru Timothy Leary when he ran for California Governor in 1970, this became the last song for all four Beatles cut in the studio together.

8. Let It Be
McCartney channeled Aretha Franklin's soul in "Let it Be", recorded during the peak of the Beatle's troubled times. A month after its 1970 release, McCartney announced the band had broken up.

7. Hey Jude
McCartney's lyrics for "Hey Jude" were inspired by John and Cynthia Lennon's five-year-old son, Julian- but Lennon first thought McCartney was singing to him about his relationship with Yoko Ono.

6. Something
Before it became the second most covered Beatles song behind "Yesterday", Lennon said this unexpected Harrison track was "the best track on Abbey Road" and McCartney called it "the best song Harrison has written.

5. In My Life
"In My Life," featuring Lennon's most personal lyrics up until that time, is one of only a handful of Lennon-McCartney songs where the two strongly disagreed over who wrote what.

4. Yesterday
The most covered song in history began as something called "Scrambled Eggs." It also began in a dream of Paul McCartney's.

3. Strawberry Fields
Lennon once said growing up "was scary because there was nobody to relate to." Strawberry Field, a Liverpool youth's home near where Lennon grew up, represented those haunting childhood visions. With this song, Lennon conquered them forever.

2. I Want To Hold Your Hand
"I Want to Hold Your Hand" was the first exposure most American had to the songwriting magic of Lennon and McCartney. It set off Beatlemania, and represented what producer George Martin calls "the apex of Phase One of the Beatles' development."

1. A Day In The Life
The ultimate Lennon-McCartney collaboration, "A Day in the Life" wasn't recognized as the band's masterwork until the Eighties, after Lennon's death. It pairs lyrics inspired by the newspapers and Lennon's own life with McCartney's idea to have classical musicians perform what producer George Martin called an "orchestral orgasm."

-Great choices Rolling Stone great choices!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment