Friday, March 4, 2011

Who Killed Davey Moore - Bob Dylan

Yesterday I read an amazing article over at NPR about this whole Charlie Sheen media blitz and really how we are going to have nobody to blame but ourselves when he crashes and burns. The article took the time to compare the song "Who Killed Davey Moore" by Bob Dylan and compared it to the situation happening with Sheen. You see Davey Moore was a boxer, who fought tough fights, yet always got a big crowd. Known as the "Tough Giant" Davey didn't stand more than 5 feet 2. 

He held the world featherweight title for more than four years when during one fight he was knocked down and out. He lost that night, returned to his locker room, conducted post interviews, and later collapsed and died. 

Dylan always wondered who was to blame in Davey's death. The sport. The people. The coaches. The culture. Who. Who is to blame? And why won't anyone take any responsibility

Its scary how it translates to Sheens situation today. Scary.

Who killed Davey Moore - Why an’ what’s the reason for?
“Not I,” says the referee - “Don’t point your finger at me"
I could’ve stopped it in the eighth - An’ maybe kept him from his fate
But the crowd would’ve booed, I’m sure - At not gettin’ their money’s worth
It’s too bad he had to go - But there was a pressure on me too, you know
It wasn’t me that made him fall - No, you can’t blame me at all”

Who killed Davey Moore
Why an’ what’s the reason for?

“Not us,” says the angry crowd - Whose screams filled the arena loud
“It’s too bad he died that night - But we just like to see a fight
We didn’t mean for him t’ meet his death - We just meant to see some sweat
There ain’t nothing wrong in that- It wasn’t us that made him fall
No, you can’t blame us at all”

Who killed Davey Moore
Why an’ what’s the reason for?

“Not me,” says his manager - Puffing on a big cigar
“It’s hard to say, it’s hard to tell- I always thought that he was well
It’s too bad for his wife an’ kids he’s dead -But if he was sick, he should’ve said
It wasn’t me that made him fall -No, you can’t blame me at all”

Who killed Davey Moore
Why an’ what’s the reason for?

“Not me,” says the gambling man - With his ticket stub still in his hand
“It wasn’t me that knocked him down - My hands never touched him none
I didn’t commit no ugly sin - Anyway, I put money on him to win
It wasn’t me that made him fall - No, you can’t blame me at all”

Who killed Davey Moore
Why an’ what’s the reason for?

“Not me,” says the boxing writer - Pounding print on his old typewriter
Sayin’, “Boxing ain’t to blame - There’s just as much danger in a football game”
Sayin’, “Fistfighting is here to stay - It’s just the old American way
It wasn’t me that made him fall - No, you can’t blame me at all”

Who killed Davey Moore
Why an’ what’s the reason for?

“Not me,” says the man whose fists - Laid him low in a cloud of mist
Who came here from Cuba’s door - Where boxing ain’t allowed no more
“I hit him, yes, it’s true - But that’s what I am paid to do
Don’t say ‘murder,’ don’t say ‘kill’ - It was destiny, it was God’s will”

Who killed Davey Moore
Why an’ what’s the reason for?

No comments:

Post a Comment