Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bright Eyes - Road to Joy

I find this song almost too beautiful. The words are carefully crafted. The song sung with great intention. The breakout at the end is completely necessary. The whole thing just solidifies in my mind how great of a band Bright Eyes is.

These lyrics are amazing:

The sun came up with no conclusions
Flowers sleepin in their beds
The city cemetary's hummin'
I'm wide awake, its mornin'

I have my drugs, I have my woman
they keep away my loneliness
My parents, they have their religion
But sleep in separate houses

I read the body count out of the paper
And now it's written all over my face
No one ever plans to sleep out in the gutter
Sometimes thats just the most comfortable place

So I'm drinkin', breathin', writin', singin'
Every day I'm on the clock
My mind races with all my longings
But can't keep up with what I got
And so I hope I don't sound too ungrateful
What history gave modern man
A telephone to talk to strangers
Machine guns and a camera lens

So when you're asked to fight a war thats over nothin'
Its best to join the side thats gonna win
No one's sure how all this got started
But were gonna make 'em God damn certain how its gonna end
Oh yeah we will, yeah we will

Well I could have been a famous singer
If I had some one else's voice
But failures always sounded better
Lets fuck it up boys, lets make some noise

The sun came up with no conclusions
Flowers sleepin' in their beds
The city cemetery's hummin'
I'm wide awake, its mornin'


No comments:

Post a Comment