Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Californication

"Space may be the final frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement...."

I would be wrong to have a day dedicated to California and not mention the next artists. The born and bread California band that is The Red Hot Chili Peppers! This song came off their seventh studio album and was to date the bands biggest hit. The record marked a change in style for the band; Rolling Stone's own Greg Tate noted that "while all previous Chili Peppers projects have been highly spirited, Californication dares to be spiritual and epiphanic.

I have especially fond memories of this album for it was released during one of my summer breaks from college. My friend Dave's parents went away for a long stretch of time that summer and we spent many of nights hanging out at his house, relaxing, listening to this album and just basically creating some of my finer memories from that time. Every time I hear this song, I get put right back into that time, in that basement (and that epic beer pyramid). And I smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment