Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Back to Bruce

Next Up: Darkness on the Edge of Town was released back in 1978 and to date it is probably one of my favorite albums he has ever made. The songs are gritty and dirty and the way they were made was actually made into a documentary (if you haven't seen it, make a point of it today, it as released by HBO last year)

This next song was the title track from that album and its a good one. "Darkness on the Edge of Town" speaks about loss, about giving everything good in life away in one decision for an urge that he can't even explain. It all comes to head in the final verse. Following the admission that even the loss of his money and his wife had little effect on him, as if they were just shadows, and every line is full of meaning. Many believe that he took the lyrics from his friend Bob Dylan "When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose" as inspiration.

"Tonight I'll be on that hill cause I can't stop
I'll be on that hill with everything that I got (which at the point of this song is nothing)
Lives on the line and dreams are found and lost
I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost
For wanting things that can only be found
In the darkness of the edge of town"

No comments:

Post a Comment