Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I Will Always Love You

Okay Okay, I know its been a few days since I've last visited this blog. I apologize. Life got a little busy there for  a moment but thankfully things have started to get back to normal and by normal I only mean 12 hour days at work and weekends filled with me trying to catch back up on sleep. Yes that is my normal. 

Anyways I know that last week passed without me really getting into talking about the passing of Whitney Houston. I didn't want to get caught up in all the press, all the tv shows about her, everywhere we turned we saw her face and well it was just too much. I wish there was a way for us to show some of these artists their great impact before they leave this earth not only after... Anyways now I'm going to write my little diddy and that will be all of it. So here it goes:

If I have to go back and think of my most favorite Whitney Houston moments I am instantly brought back to my childhood bedroom. That one on 40 Northview Drive where I would sit upstairs while my brothers were wrestling downstairs. I would put on a crown, dress in the most sparkly outfit I owned and would stand on my hamper and sing her songs at the top of my lungs not caring who saw me or who heard me. I would sing these songs over and over again, marching around my room as if I was this lady that many call "the voice of my generation". There were the classics like "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" or "I Have Nothing" how about "The Greatest Love of All"? I could sit in my room all day with that silver boombox and play Whitney until my ears bleed. There was "The Bodyguard" which still ranks high on my list of favorite "go to Sunday afternoon flicks". How about the time she sung "The Star Spangled Banner" and sung it so well I may add that it sold a million copies and topped the singles chart. Yes the star spangled banner. She did the same thing when she opened up the Olympics with "One Moment in Time". She owns my childhood. She was my soundtrack I could always count on. I can't even start on "I Will Always Love You" originated by Dolly Parton but brought into another stratosphere by Ms. Houston. Just pure magic. Also the fact that Whitney made her name right there in my home state of New Jersey made us feel like she was ours as well. There were so many things that drew me to this lady and her music but the great things that I will take away is the way that she sung her songs. It was effortless. It gave you goosebumps, it left you wanting more. 

I could go on and on about Whitney here for my entire day but you all have already read too much about her and her impact on the music world. So I'll leave you with just the lessons that I have learned from the lyrics that have been in her songs. Not bad lessons to shape your life around.

Sometime you'll laugh
Sometimes you'll cry
Life never tells us, the when's or why's
When you've got friends, to wish you well
You'll find your point when
You will exhale

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadow
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all 
Inside of me
The greatest love of all 
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
Is the greatest love of all

They don't always happen when you ask
And it's easy to give in to your fears
But when your blinded by your pain
Can't see your way straight through the rain
A small but still, resilient voice
Says love is very near
There can be miracles 
When you believe

I want one moment in time
When I'm more than I thought I could be
When all of my dreams are a heartbeat away
And the answers are all up to me
Give me one moment in time
When I'm racing with destiny
Then in that one moment of time
I will feel eternity

If I should die thie very day
Don't cry 'cause on Earth we weren't meant to stay
And no matter what the people say
I'll be waiting for you after the judgement day
Because my love is your love

and my all time favorite
I hope life treats you kind
And I hope you have all you've dreamed of
And I wish you, joy and happiness
But above all this, I wish you love
And I will always love you.

RIP Ms. Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment