Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bruce Springsteen Day!

My boyfriend that is from West Virginia has not listened to a ton of Mr. Bruce Springsteen (I have not held this against him quite yet) but I am taking the liberties to introduce him to the man that we from NJ call "The Boss". So today is going to be Bruce Springsteen Day! Whoo Hooo! It will help me do my research and figure out what songs can I put on a mix tonight to adequately show this man how great Bruce is. Here we go. 

Springsteen is widely known to many for his style of what they call "heartland rock", he has very powerful poetic lyrics and talks mainly about what is happening in America or most importantly in his native NJ. His recordings have included both commercial rock albums and my favorite the more somber folk-oriented works. Most know him from his work with Born in the USA or Born to Run, these albums both showcase a talent for finding good things in the struggles of daily American life. He has sold more than 65 million albums in the US and more than 120 worldwide. He has earned 20 Grammy Awards, two Golden Globes and an Oscar. He is widely regarded by many as one of the most influential songwriters of the 20th century, and in 2004 Rolling Stone ranked him as the 23rd Greatest Artists of all time. 

I'm going to start of with a song that many don't even know Bruce wrote. Rage Against the Machine does a pretty amazing cover of it, but nothing beats the original.

Here is "The Ghost of Tom Joad" 

No comments:

Post a Comment