Tuesday, March 23, 2010

If Your A Dreamer Come In~

I'm actually continuing todays "Throwback Tuesday" with a different kind of throwback. I'm bringing it way back to childhood people. To one of the first authors I truly fell in love with. His name Shel Silverstein the books "The Giving Tree" and "Where the Sidewalk Ends". "The Giving Tree" was the story about a simple tree and how she loved this little boy who would come visit her day after day, year after year. And "Where the Sidewalk Ends" was a collection of poems and stories. I will never forget how this book started out.

"If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer . . .
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire,
For we have some flax golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!"

If that doesn't invite childhood imagination I don't know what does. I credit this man for a lot of my childhood dreams and crazy thoughts. In his stories I read about a boy who turned into a TV set, a girl named Sarah who refused to take out the garbage, a place where you wash your shadows, your shoes fly and a place where sisters are auctioned off. If he was still alive today I would write him a thank you note every day for helping me become the dreamer that I am.

This is why I was so excited this morning when HarperCollins Publishing announced that a collection of up to 130 new works of his is set to be released next year. This is especially great because its only the second release of work from Silverstein since his passing in 1999.

I know that I will be one of the first on line to purchase this authors amazing work.

No comments:

Post a Comment