Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Vampire Weekend

So yesterday I gave a shout out to this band for busting out the Phish t-shirt during the national broadcast of Saturday Night Live. Last night, I decided to do my research and find out a little more about this band. Well I was really happy that I did, and I think you will be too. This Brooklyn based Indie band has been making its rounds for the last few years. The members of the band all met while attending Columbia University and they claim to be influenced by both Western classical music and African popular music naming their genre as "Upper West Side Soweto". They were named Spin Magazines "Artist of the Year" in the March 2008, the first for the Magazine, featuring a band on the cover who had still yet to release their debut album.

Following this mention they released their self titled debut album to rave reviews. This music video I'm about to feature is off of their debut album and its basically what you get when you feature RZA from Wu-Tang, Joe Jonas (from Jonas brothers), Lil Jon and Jake Gyllenhaal in what has to be the most random/awesome music video of all time for their song "Giving Up The Gun".

Enjoy the video and research this band. (Final note: the lead singer is just adorable so that doesn't hurt either)

No comments:

Post a Comment