Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Me and My Bobby McGee

This is a very special post to me. Why may you ask? Easy. Its hands down one of my top 5 favorite songs. Written by Kris Kristofferson and made famous by Janis Joplin. Wait I said that wrong it was not just made famous by Janis but it was taken to another level by her. Nobody will ever. Ever. Sing it like Janis did back in 1971. But it doesn't mean it hasn't been attempted. Most fail. Most sing the song and try to be Janis, they try and sound just like her do her rifts, dress like her. And of course, it usually fails. Yet sometimes some of those rare performances comes out when you have to step back and applaud. You have to look at the effort the artist put into it and realize that they are there making it their own, just like Janis did.

Thats why I think its more okay to cover this song then the Beatles classics. This was made famous by a cover. It was not Janis's song. It is now the worlds song. The following are hands down my two favorite "Me and My Bobby McGee" covers, besides Janis these two powerful women take the cake in my book.

First is my girl Crystal Bowersox. Last night she showed all of the contestants on the damn American Idol why they should all just pack their bags now. Shes clearly got this in the bag. Her cover of this song just blew everyone away. Even Simon said it "You should not change one thing". And I agree. Amazeballs.

Now make sure you have the volume loud at the 1:25 part. She really kicks the song into high gear and shows her true spirit. love.

The second version of the song is from I singer who I think is HIGHLY underrated for her singing abilities. Pink has been hitting it big on the pop charts for years now and year after year she remains true to herself and her music. I can tell you that Pink has one of THE best voices in my generation. She can hit notes that Britney Spears dreams about and she does it all while being herself. Its refreshing and nice.

Check out her version of the classic song below!

No comments:

Post a Comment