Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Video of the Day: Cinema Italiano

Anyone who is a big fan of musicals like me will love the movie NINE. Based on the remake of the broadway play this vibrant musical follows the life of world famous film director Guido (Daniel Day-Lewis) as he reaches a creative and personal crisis of epic proportion, while balancing numerous women in his life including his wife (Marion Cotillard), his mistress (Peneolpe Cruz), his film star muse (Nicole Kidman), his costume designer (Judy Dench), a whore from his youth (Fergie), his mother (Sophia Loren) and last but certainly not least is an American fashion journalist (Kate Hudson).

I saw this movie when it hit the theaters and absolutely loved it. Reminded me of the movie remake of Chicago, it had me tapping my feet, singing the songs and buying the soundtrack after the film.

Okay so let me sound off about Kate Hudson for a second. I have loved her ever since her portrayal of "Penny Lane" in Almost Famous. Something about that movie, no matter when its on, I will sit and watch it and love it like its the first time I've seen it. And we all know that acting for her is in her genes (Her mother is Goldie Hawn), yet I don't think anyone expected how she threw down in Nine. Singing this time around is a first for her, but its no surprise to anyone who knows her. She was in and out of studios while married to Black Crows singer Chris Robinson, so the fact that she feels so comfortable doing this is not a surprise.

Now do I hope she goes out and records and album. To quote Whitney Houston..."hells to the no". But it does bring my level of respect for her craft up about 20 points.

Check out the behind the scenes of her singing here:

No comments:

Post a Comment